Saturday, January 16, 2010

Math Forum Problem 1082: The Nutty Squirrel?










While going for my daily run, I passed a squirrel carrying a nut in her mouth. When she saw me, she ran toward a safe place and, coming to a stone wall, easily jumping on to it and disappeared. I began to wonder how high I could jump if i were a squirrel.';





';If an average squirrel's back leg height from ground to hip is 3 1/2 inches, and the squirrel can jump a 2-foot-high wall, what height wall could I jump if I were a giant squirrel? My leg height from the ground to hip is 36 inches. Whats the answer in nearest feet and inches?';





What is the answer and how would you explain it? Math Forum Problem 1082: The Nutty Squirrel?
Convert 2 ft to inches. (24in)





3.5/24 = 36/x


Cross multiply


3.5x = 864


x = 246.86 in or 20.57 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment