Saturday, January 16, 2010

I have a squirrel problem?

they keep chasing the birds tht come to my feeders away. and then they eat out of the feeders. i have tried everything! Help!I have a squirrel problem?
Oh, how I know that problem. I like having the squirrels around but they'll destroy my feeders if I let them. Here are a few things to try:





- Squirrel-proof feeder. These are expensive and may also discourage larger birds. (I've never seen a design I really liked.)


- Add a baffle to a hanging feeder or a feeder on a pole. You can make one from scrap tin or a sheet of rigid plastic (those sheets little kids use for toboggans work well). However, squirrels are clever and may find a way to jump to the food.


- Put your feeder where the squirrel can't get to it. I have one big feeder on a telescoping 8-foot pole. Occasionally a squirrel will watch it hungrily from the trees, but I've never seen one try to make the jump.


- Wrap a Slinky or other loose wire to block the squirrel's path to the feeder. This gives the added enjoyment of watching the squirrel bouncing and scrambling around on the Slinky spring.


- There are various ';tanglefoot'; products that you can apply to block the squirrel's path to the feeder. (So long as the squirrel figures it's more work to clean its feet than to look for food elsewhere.)


- Use safflower seed in your feeders. It looks like little sunflower seeds except they're white. I've never seen a squirrel touch safflower seed, they'll go to the feeder, take one sniff and leave. Downside is that safflower seed costs at least twice as much as regular seed. Cardinals and chickadees like it a lot.


- Use ';Chili Treat'; food. This is mixed bird food which has been infused with chili powder. It's too hot for the squirrels but the birds can handle it. Downside is that it's more expensive than regular food, and you have to be careful handling it (don't let the dust blow into your eyes!)


- I have heard that peppermint oil will repel squirrels, if you periodically spray it around your feeders. (I haven't tried this myself.)





And if all else fails, put a little pile of food somewhere just for the squirrels, to try and appease them.I have a squirrel problem?
Only squirrel proof feeders will help this problem, search for them online or ask a garden centre.
This happens to my grandma. Use a mixture of garlic and dried blood around areas of your yard that may attract squirrels. Or make squirrel repellent by soaking several hot peppers in a quart of boiling water overnight. Add mild dish soap to the pepper water and use this mixture as a spray on garden plants. These mixtures should not be used in or around bird feeders, though. Avoid hanging your feeders in or near trees. Plu, you can look for bird feeders that are squirrel proof.





Good Luck!
buy peunuts and unpeal and put them on the ground
what type of feeders do you have? are they hanging or what?
bb gun and a good aim :)





of course that doesn't work within city limits





call your local pest control, see what they could do
Get a dog. Seriously

No comments:

Post a Comment