Monday, January 18, 2010

I have problems with squirrels in my garden how can I deter them. My neigbour insists on feeding birds !!!?

The squirrels are a major concern as my greyhound tries to get them and will risk serious injury in the quest to catch them and still this does not deter them.I have problems with squirrels in my garden how can I deter them. My neigbour insists on feeding birds !!!?
Try calling your local council pest control dept. They can give you advice and if need be they can write to your neighbour advising them to stop feeding birds because of the problem. If they write they wont tell the neighbour who complained.I have problems with squirrels in my garden how can I deter them. My neigbour insists on feeding birds !!!?
I'm sorry to say that you will never win the war against the squirrel. My dad has been fighting them for as long as I can remember. You could by a BB gun to thin them out though. That's something my dad would never do.
There is probably not a lot you can do about your neighbour, but there is a way to put them off bird seed. Put out some seed yourself, but liberally lace it with chilli powder. Birds can't taste this, but mammals can.
Try sprinkling moth balls around. it has helped in our attic for squirrels and mice.
Maybe easier to train your dog not to chase the squrriels
If you can legally kill them by shooting, they do make tasty morsels, if you eat meat.


Skin, gut, and wash. Roll in a bit of breading and brown, then cover pan with a bit of water and steam. Much like dark meat chicken.


However, I would never eat a squirrel's nuts.
BB Gun
Are they red or grey? If they are grey then maybe call your local council but if they are red leave them, feed them, do whatever you can to save them. They are an endangered species that are greatly threatened by the grey squirrel.
cat.
Living in conjunction with squirrels will drive you batty. A cat will work, cats actually will kill a squirrel and eat it. Since we've started feeding the wild cats around us and they've been hanging around we haven't had the squirrels.
i read the other answers most ok,,, What I do is a weak spring bb gun daisy single pump (it won't kill them unless u MAYBE hit them in the eye)or bottle rockets whistling with report ,,,i use these methods for all pests and it works with all stingem and scarem away
My mother-in-law had the same problem, We got her an outdoor cat and that took care of the problem. the type of cat is important as some are natural hunters. She had the tortiseshell (female) cat and from what i found out, they are one of the better hunters naturally. In our case, my husband just shoots them, as we live in the country .
A cat will do better than a dog. A cat can climb trees just like a squirrel can. A dog cannot.
shotgun, you can legally exterminate GREY squirrels in the UK as they are classed as vermin.
I feel for you...i have had some major squirrel problems over the past few years (mostly because the neighbours insist on feeding them).


what worked best was a live trap - left it out for a week or so until they were not afraid of it...then put in bait and caught several over a week...so far so good.


lots of luck!
Buy some well trained squirells and make them friends with your greyhound. One day they will all be friends. Three cheers
Sorry to hear about your problem but a Squirrel is wildlife and has a lawful right to live wherever it wants... I know this is no help to you what so ever, But would a fence be out of the question so the Greyhound does not do itself an injury when it next launches itself at the tree...
Go to a sporting store and pick up some red fox lure fox is a natural enemy of squirrels and the smell will scare them off. Be careful it stinks bad and you don't have to use much just a couple drops

No comments:

Post a Comment