Saturday, January 16, 2010

I have a squirrel problem in my house.?

ive tried repellents and traps but they all fail. so is it ok to shoot them with a pellet or bb gun in the state of texas?I have a squirrel problem in my house.?
Most states allow extermination of those little bastards. Use a pellet gun. BB's suck. But first check with Texas law regarding hunting. Some states have open season, no minimum.


Don't worry about the blood. They don't bleed much.


Get a state hunting do's and don't booklet. You'll find your answer there. Happy hunting. Shoot one for me.I have a squirrel problem in my house.?
22 caliber shorts will work better.*
The first problem you need to find a solution to is where are they getting in. Once you have found the hole or crack that they have gotten into fill the hole with steel wool and expand foam as they won't go through that mixture and its a cheap fix to the hole.





Once you've solved the entry issue now you can go to work to removing these little guys in the house. Traps work well. I'd suggest live traps if you have no interest in eating them.





Cabalas has some good live traps, I've used similar ones to trap muskrats and they work wonders.


http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa鈥?/a>


This will take you to one of the better ones.





I'd use a combo of peanut butter oatmeal and vanilla extract as this works like a charm.





Once caught you can release them back into the wild.








Shooting them in the house could work but shooting in a building is never a good idea.





Hope this helps
Legal issues aside, I'd use a .410 shotgun and don't laugh yet. I reload and have some one-piece wads, no shot cup, made of compressed cork that I have used on rats indoors. The cork will not penetrate a partition but it will smack a small animal hard enough to kill it from hydrostatic shock.





I have also used a .30 caliber rifle with Lyman Accra-Wax, but I don't think that is on the market anymore. Wax plug and primer, no powder and it works almost as well as the .410.
As long as you don't live in town, why not? I'd use a .22, though. A bb gun isn't going to be lethal.
yeah i'd use a .22 rifle if your not in town or no other houses are really close
if you have boarded up the holes that they are coming through and they chew threw put hot sauce on the areas they chew if not break out the pellet gun
There are pellet rifles every bit the equal of .22's but your average Wally world BB gun isnt gonna do it. You do need to patch the hole though. Word of advice do it about 1 hour after or before daylight as the squirellys will be out feeding. That way you lock them out instead of in. I had some running around the attic of an old house I rented in NY and never really cared until I woke up with one sitting on my dresser looking at me. I shot a few with a 22 outside but I had the room to do it as I had 80 acres.
You'd do a lot better with traps.


A pellet gun might not kill quickly, and if they


die in a wall cavity you will regret it come summer.


Rat traps will get the litle suckers. Do be sure to


tie the trap to something so he can't drag it off.
try a havahart trap or rat traps baited with peanut butter.you can shoot them,but don't get caught.how do they get in?

No comments:

Post a Comment